Our Emergent Readers collection forms the foundation for teaching young learners how to read. We define an “emergent reader” as a child who can recognize letters, their names and the sounds they make. They are now ready to start decoding words, and our series aims to take them from reading and sounding out single words, to recognizing sight words, and moving from two words phrases to multiple word sentences.
The collection is engaging, and children can interact with the books in a variety of ways. Each page has audio buttons, and students can visually see the pictures and letters, plus by adding a free add-on to your web browser, such as Page Marker, Web Paint and Microsoft Edge, students can practice writing by tracing or attempting to spell words. The Emergent Readers can also be viewed in flipbook mode, where a picture is displayed next to a word or words, or in flashcard mode, where a word is displayed first, followed by the picture. The eBooks are also printable, providing yet another way they can be presented to children. For classroom use, the eBooks can also be viewed on SMART Boards for group instruction.
Our series has been specifically structured and scaffolded as follows with the aim of building children’s confidence and improving their reading skills at each level; however, you may choose to use them in a different order:
1. CVC Words: The CVC Emergent Readers are the first in our collection. The series covers short vowel endings, and the eBooks provide the foundation for the rest of the collection. Readers are divided by endings, and then mixed books are provided to consolidate learning. The series also include 2 CVC Word books for children to begin reading multiple words on a page. Emergent Readers in this series include:
2. CVC & Sight Words: The CVC & Sight Words Emergent Readers collection builds upon the CVC Emergent Readers by combining sight words with CVC words that children are already confident in reading. It begins with a sight word and a CVC word combined, and then progresses to 3- and 4-word patterned sentences. The mixed sentences challenge children to read two different sentences they have already seen; for example He is/He can, pushing them further in their learning. Emergent Readers in this series include:
3. CCVC Words: Once children are confident in reading CVC words and the first set of sight words, they can progress to the CCVC Emergent Readers, which are divided in two different ways: by initial sounds and by common endings. This series follows the same pattern as the CVC Emergent Readers, where children focus on specific endings that are then are mixed in multiple ways. Two-word eBooks that combine CVC and CCVC words are also included. Emergent Readers in this series include:
4. CVC, CCVC & Sight Words: The CVC, CCVC & Sight Words Emergent Readers provide the next step; children practice sight words previously learned in the CVC Emergent Readers collection, and are introduced to new ones, such as: this, that, his, her, what, and who. The series moves from 2 words to patterned sentences, and then mixed sentences. To further learning, students are also introduced to simple question-patterned eBooks where students can be tested on their comprehension of vocabulary learned, an essential skill when learning how to read. Emergent Readers in this series include:
5. CVCC Words: The CVCC Emergent Readers collection is the fifth set in our series of eBooks. They are grouped by CVCC word endings, and like the previous collection, mixes are also included. The two-word eBooks in this set include CVC, CCVC and CVCC words. Emergent Readers in this series are as follows:
6. CVC, CCVC, CVCC & Sight Words: The CVC, CCVC, CVCC & Sight Words Emergent Readers are the final set in our collection, and they combine all vocabulary previously learned with the CVCC words learned in the fifth set. This collection also introduces children to plural CVC words and additional sight words, such as: look, here, they, our, you, your, do and or. Again, the eBooks move from 2 word phrases to 5 & 6 word sentences to ensure that students learn gradually and solidly. Question eBooks are also included to provide additional reading comprehension practice.
Our aim is empower students in their journey towards becoming confident readers; it is our belief that this journey is one of the greatest a child will embark on in their young lives. Please visit our teaching ideas section for ways to use our eBooks at home with your child, as additional reading practice or as part of your homeschooling program, or in the classroom with your students, whether it is a mainstream or ESL classroom.