In search of some fun ideas for teaching children how to read using our collection of free online Emergent and Transitional Readers eBooks? See our suggestions below!
1. Have children come up with additional words that rhyme with the ones in the eBook. The words can be real or nonsense!
2. Ask children questions before, during and after reading. Here are some examples:· How many words are there in the sentence?
3. Before reading the eBook have children look at the pictures and talk about them. You might even read the eBook first or together, and then have children attempt to read independently.
4. Have children read the eBooks to siblings, friends, or other students at school during reading buddies. Sharing their abilities with others, builds confidence and gives them a sense of pride!
5. Ask children questions before, during and after reading. Here are some examples:
6. Structured Word Inquiry - If you are using this as a teaching method, you can choose a word in an eBook as a base. Vocabulary webs can be drawn on the eBook itself. See Tutorial.
7. Free apps and software such as Page Marker, Web Paint and Microsoft Edge will allow you to write or draw on the eBooks while open in a web browser. Some writing activities include:
Have any other activity ideas you would like to share? We’d love to hear them!